You’d probably notice that in most corporate offices, mission and vision statements along with the company’s list of core values are beautifully framed and displayed on the walls. Why do you think so? Well, the reason for this is not only to inspire but more importantly, to guide and remind the organization of its purpose, direction and philosophy.
If you’re thinking of starting your own business, even if it’s just a small one, creating and defining your mission, vision and values is important. On a personal level, it will motivate you to succeed. Your employees, upon realizing that they are part of a noble cause, will be more inspired to work. And investors, specially if they see merit in your corporate mission, will be willing to help you achieve your aspirations.
This gives the reason why you’re putting up the business. When setting your mission statement, give your business its sense of purpose. More than making money, it must define a noble cause such as providing quality service and making lives better. Take it even further by writing down how you plan to deliver this purpose. A mission statement moves the mind into action.
This is the goal of your business. When creating a vision statement, don’t censor your thoughts and allow yourself to dream big. This is what you desire for your business. This is what you want it to become in the future. A vision statement excites the imagination and gives you a surge of energy to work and make it a reality.
These are the guiding principles of your business. When defining your core values, try to imagine how you would want others to describe the company and its people – passionate, committed and honest are examples that you can choose. A values statement summarizes the virtues that the organization must inculcate to carry out its mission.
To give you an example of how these are done, I’d like to share to you the mission, vision and values of one of the most successful companies in the world, The Coca Cola Company.
Everything we do is inspired by our enduring Mission:
- To Refresh the World… in body, mind, and spirit.
- To Inspire Moments of Optimism… through our brands and our actions.
- To Create Value and Make a Difference… everywhere we engage.
To achieve sustainable growth, we have established a Vision with clear goals:
- People: Being a great place to work where people are inspired to be the best they can be.
- Planet: Being a responsible global citizen that makes a difference.
- Portfolio: Bringing to the world a portfolio of beverage brands that anticipate and satisfy peoples’ desires and needs.
- Partners: Nurturing a winning network of partners and building mutual loyalty.
- Profit: Maximizing return to shareowners while being mindful of our overall responsibilities.
We are guided by shared Values that we will live by as a company and as individuals:
- Leadership: “The courage to shape a better future”
- Passion: “Committed in heart and mind”
- Integrity: “Be real”
- Accountability: “If it is to be, it’s up to me”
- Collaboration: “Leverage collective genius”
- Innovation: “Seek, imagine, create, delight”
- Quality: “What we do, we do well”
Source: The Coca Cola Company website
Lastly, writing a mission, vision and values statement is not limited to organizations and businesses. It can also be applied to our own selves. What do you believe is your purpose in life? How do you see yourself in the future? And how do you want other people to see you as a person? I believe that by answering these questions, you’ll be able to find ways to enjoy life and make it better.
To learn more about business and entrepreneurship, please subscribe to Ready To Be Rich.
Suggested Reading For Bloggers:
Blogging Tips. The Purpose and Philosophy of Your Writing
Photo courtesy of Ritesh Kapur
SELECT AN ARTICLE TO READ NEXT BELOW: