Updated: October 22, 2020
Do you have a good sense of humor? Can you make people laugh with your funny jokes? Are you a natural comedian? If so, then why not use your talent to earn money?
Yes, there are lots of ways you can make extra income from your jokes, funny videos, and other humorous ideas. I believe that laughter is a universal language. Everyone enjoys smiling and laughing (except maybe those emo kids).
But anyway, if you’ve got the skill or the talent, then I suggest you consider these profitable ventures which could turn those funnies into monies.
Be A Comedian
This is probably the most obvious way to make money from being funny. If you’re good with an audience, then perhaps you can establish a career in the entertainment business as:
- A stand-up comedian in night clubs, restaurants, and of course, comedy bars.
- A host or emcee for events like weddings, birthday parties, charity functions, and many others.
- An actor in sitcoms and movies. Break into the industry by joining talent searches or going to auditions.
Be A Writer
If facing a crowd is not your cup of tea, then consider becoming a writer. Your original materials can still go a long way. All you need to do is:
- Become a newspaper or magazine columnist (can you spell Jessica Zafra?)
- Write your funny stories and publish them as a book (and be the next Bob Ong)
- Become a scriptwriter for sitcoms or even write materials for comedians (they do run out of jokes sometimes)
- Or just start your own comic strip (just like what college buddy, LeRoy aka Lyndon Gregorio did with Beerkada)
Furthermore, there’s also a good market for witty and funny shirts, stickers, mugs, and other printable items. Write your ideas down and sell them.
- Start your own business, especially in apparel. Don’t be afraid of competition, there’s always room for unique and fresh ideas.
- If you’re not feeling entrepreneurial, then perhaps just become a product developer for companies who market these kinds of items.
- Or if you’re really feeling lazy and don’t want to go out, then check out Cafe Press and submit your funny thoughts and designs. When your idea sells, you’ll receive a commission. Simple as that.
Start A Funny Blog
Make money online by starting a funny blog. The best thing about this is that you don’t have to constantly come up with original and funny content. Sometimes, your readers are more than willing to contribute funny stuff. Here are a couple of successful humor blogs for your inspiration:
- Video Blogger Christine Gambito’s “Happy Slip”
- “I Can Has Cheezburger” by Pet Holdings, Inc.
Submit Your Jokes
Lastly, if you only have a handful of funny jokes, then try giving them to magazines that offer payment for contributions. One of the best places to submit your funny stuff is on Reader’s Digest.
They’ll pay you if your contribution gets chosen for publication. I still remember back in March 2002, one of my jokes got chosen for their humor section, Life’s Like That. I got my check in the mail after a couple of weeks. Cool, huh?
How about you? Do you have any more ideas on how you can make money from jokes or being funny? Kindly share them below as a comment.