Society is basically made up of the rich, the middle class, and the poor. And between these groups, the most obvious difference is the amount of money they have.
Personally, I believe that the real gap between the rich and the poor is really NOT their monthly income. To think that the only difference between the haves and have-nots is the size of their bank account is very short-sighted.
Because in reality, the amount of money one has is actually just a consequence of one’s mindset and actions. And this is where the real gap lies.
But aside from the rich and the poor, there is also the middle class. How different are they from the two? Moreover, why do some people manage to get out of being poor but get stuck in being middle class? Why can’t they progress and become rich?
Below is a list of comparison that will answer these questions.
Goals and Lifestyle
- Poor: Survival; thinks from day to day – a hand-to-mouth existence
- Middle Class: Comfort; thinks from paycheck to paycheck
- Rich: Freedom; thinks from year to year and far beyond
Spending and Debt
- Poor: Pays in cash or debts
- Middle Class: Pays through credit cards and revolves debt
- Rich: Pays through credit cards but pays in full monthly, knows how to leverage debt
Thoughts and Conversations
- Poor: Talks about people
- Middle Class: Talks about material things
- Rich: Talks about ideas
Work Attitude and Mindset
- Poor and Middle Class: Plays it safe, works just enough, satisfied with mediocre results
- Rich: Takes calculated risks, challenges oneself to excel and be the best
Money and Opportunities
- Poor and Middle Class: Scarcity; opportunities are few and money is hard to come by
- Rich: Abundance; there are a lot of opportunities out there for me to make money
Attitudes and Motivation
- Poor and Middle Class: Impatient; I want to live in comfort today
- Rich: Delays gratification; I sacrifice today, so I can live in comfort for many days in the future
Luxuries and Obstacles
- Poor and Middle Class: I cannot afford it. I cannot do it.
- Rich: How can I afford it? How can I learn to do it?
Success and Wealth
- Poor: Lottery, marry someone rich
- Middle Class: Inheritance, advancement of career
- Rich: Frugality, business and investments
Recreation and Fulfillment
- Poor and Middle Class: Distractions and escapes (television, gossip, etc.), surrounds oneself with material things
- Rich: Life enrichment, self-growth, helps and provides value to others
Ask yourself, where does your mindset stand today? It’s never too late to change.
SELECT AN ARTICLE TO READ NEXT BELOW: