Updated: May 25, 2017
A lot of establishments nowadays offer discount cards for loyal customers and I’ve learned to love and take advantage of these promos to save money.
Out of all the various local stores that have these membership loyalty programs, I have been able to accumulate the most points from my SM Advantage Card, Mercury Drug Suki Card, and National Bookstore Laking National Card.
The mechanics of these loyalty cards are straightforward. Simply present them whenever you buy something and you earn points based from the amount of your purchase. And then the points, you can use as virtual cash later on.
Furthermore, your membership card can likewise be used to avail discounts and exclusive privileges in various establishments.
For example, you get free gift wrapping service during special occasions in National Bookstore if you have their Laking National Card.
For SM Advantage, members can enjoy discounts and freebies from their various partner establishments. And likewise earn points from them too, such as Shell gasoline stations and Ace Hardware.
Applying for Loyalty Cards
Applying for a loyalty card is simple and easy. Just look for a customer service representative in the store and inquire on how you can become a member.
Most of them will require you to pay a minimal fee. But there are others that will only require accumulated receipts of a certain amount to prove, and you’ll get the card for free.
Personally, I suggest that you simply make an outright payment for the card so you could immediately earn points. But only do this for establishments that you visit or buy from more than twice a month — such as grocery store loyalty cards.
The reason is because, after doing some computation, the necessary amount of accumulated receipts that you’d normally need to get a free membership is almost equivalent to the cash rebate you could’ve gotten if that amount was converted to loyalty points.
Anyway, for those who go to stores other than than the three above and specially those living outside the Philippines, try to ask the establishments you frequently visit in your area if they have their own membership loyalty program.
Furthermore, here are some quick tips on how to properly use and maximize your discount card:
- Always remember to bring them whenever you go out. Take care of it as if it’s your ATM or credit card. And keep it in your wallet if possible to prevent you from misplacing them.
- Use it naturally. This means you don’t go out and shop for the sake of being able to use your card. Avoid impulse buying.
- When in line at the cashier and the shopper before you doesn’t have a loyalty card, depending on the situation, you can try to politely ask if you can use your card. Most of the time, they’d be glad to give you the points for their purchase.
- Be aware of the card’s benefits and remember the partner establishments where you can get discounts and special privileges.
- Buy in bulk if possible. You get to save more money while accumulating points faster.
And that’s it. What’s your favorite loyalty card that you use and why?