I spent last weekend in Batangas to become a godfather to a friend’s newborn baby.
I haven’t heard from my friend in years, which explains my surprise and excitement when I received a call from him a week ago to invite me to the baptism of his first born.
And so, after congratulating him on his blessing, I promptly arranged my schedule for a trip to his hometown.
The ceremony was short and simple. The invited guests were mostly relatives and only a handful of friends from Manila.
Nevertheless, it was quite a joyous event and everyone was really taking turns in carrying my friend’s newborn, baby Jeff. As everyone’s excitement over the occasion began to die down early evening, I decided it was time to head back home.
I looked for my friend and found him with his wife in the kitchen, apparently doing some calculations on the day’s expenses.
After saying my goodbyes and promising to visit my inaanak as often as I can, I left and went on my way.
As I drove back to Manila, I realized how financially challenging it really is to have a baby. And immediately, my mind tried to think of ways on how a couple can lessen their newborn baby expenses.
I’m no expert at this, being still single and all, but I think I made a pretty decent list on how one can be frugal when it comes to baby care.
Here’s what I came up with:
- Hold a baby shower. You’ll get free and useful gifts for your baby.
- Breastfeed if possible, otherwise buy the most affordable baby formula.
- Use cloth diapers at home, and for convenience, store brand diapers when going out.
- Ask relatives and friends for second hand clothes. Your baby will still look cute even if he’s wearing hand me downs.
- Make your own baby food. Just mash up steamed vegetables and fruits, right?
- Transform household items into simple, but safe toys. Clean shoe boxes and colored plastic containers will do fine.
- Control your impulse, don’t buy things for your baby just because it’s cute. Only buy what’s necessary.
How about you, specially those who already experienced having a baby, what more can you add to the list? Kindly comment and share them below.
Furthermore, if you want more money saving tips, then please subscribe to Ready To Be Rich.
Photo credit: cheezelsmurf
SELECT AN ARTICLE TO READ NEXT BELOW: