Updated: December 9, 2021
Listen to Episode 37:
Invest and trade global markets: Sign up for eToro here and check out Copytrader, which allows you to copy other successful traders on eToro and automate your investing or trading.
Are you a podcaster? Use 80PERCENT as referral code when you sign up for Podmetrics here and receive a FREE gift from me, an eBook on how to make money from podcasting.
Episode 37 Chapters:
- 00:52: Bad Habits and Financial Stress
- 01:48: On Thailand and Elephants
- 03:05: Thinking Fast and Slow
- 04:49: System 1 vs System 2
- 07:20: Episode Break
- 09:11: The Habit Loop
- 11:10: On Junk Food and Stress
- 14:31: Changing Bad Habits
Excerpts and Highlights:
There are two ways our brains process the world around us: System 1 and System 2.
System 1 is “fast thinking,” which is associated with snap decisions and subconscious thoughts.
System 2 is “slow thinking,” which is associated with our conscious decisions and analytical thought.
System 1 is large, instinctual, and emotional while System 2 is small, rational, and logical.
An effective strategy to change bad habits is to know your triggers and then, you can either avoid those triggers or consciously change the action that follows.
Bad money habits are often the result of us ignoring the negative consequences of our actions when responding to a trigger.
Links and Resources:
- ElephantsWorld website
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (Wikipedia)
- The Rider & the Elephant – Jonathan Haidt on Persuasion and Moral Humility
Ask me a question for the podcast: Send a voice message here.