Updated: April 10, 2020
Henry Ford once said, “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Makes sense, right? That’s why I find people who constantly complain that nothing’s happening in their life, a bit crazy.
Even Albert Einstein would agree, because he defines insanity as “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
So, if you really want your life to change, then you’ve got to start doing things differently. And to help you with that, here are 15 things you can (and should) stop doing if you want a better life.
1. Stop making excuses. Take full responsibility of your life and stop blaming others, the economy, the weather and your zodiac sign for your bad luck.
2. Stop wasting time watching television, surfing on the internet, and playing games on your smartphone. It’s okay to relax and be entertained for awhile, but it’s a different story already if that’s all you do on your free time.
3. Stop procrastinating. Remember that the opposite of success is not failure, but inaction. Stop putting things off and get it done already.
4. Stop doing just the easy stuff. Allow yourself to be uncomfortable. Challenge yourself and I guarantee that you’ll go beyond what you thought was your limit.
5. Stop spending time with people who have no dreams. They’ll just slow you down and drag you into inertia. Instead, spend more time with people that inspire you.
6. Stop running away from your problems, because they have legs and they’ll catch up with you sooner or later. Don’t try to drown them either because they know how to swim – believe me, I know.
7. Stop comparing yourself to others. There will always be people who are better than you, and that’s okay. Don’t be hard on yourself. Remember that each one of us is unique, and we all have the ability to make a difference in this world.
8. Stop holding on to your past. We all make mistakes. We all failed at one point in our lives. We all have those “I-wish-I-could-turn-back-time” moments. Learn the lesson and just let go.
9. Stop being scared of failure. Mistakes are part of life, and success isn’t complete if you haven’t failed at least once.
10. Stop finding happiness in material things. Moreover, stop relying on others for your happiness. The best person that can make you happy is yourself. Remember that happiness (and contentment) is a personal state of mind.
11. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. We all experience tough times, and hitting one doesn’t mean you’re unlucky, untalented nor undeserving of success.
12. Stop waiting for the right time. Things will never be perfect, so just ship out to the open seas and simply adjust your sails along the way. Fire now, and aim later.
13. Stop thinking about the things that might go wrong. Instead, focus and believe that things will go right. Optimism, positivity and visual reinforcement often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
14. Stop pleasing everyone. As they say, “Haters gonna hate” – so just ignore them. What other people say and think is not as important as providing and caring for the people that actually matter in your life.
15. Stop changing the things you can’t change. There’s usually a fine line between the things that you can and cannot control. Grant yourself the serenity to accept those you can’t, and take on the courage to change those that you can.
Can you think of more things that people should stop doing to make their life better? Please share them below and let’s make this list grow further.
What to do next: Click here to subscribe to our FREE newsletter.