Updated: April 28, 2023
Henry Ford once said, “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
That makes sense, right? That’s why I find people who constantly complain that nothing’s happening in their life, a bit crazy.
Even Albert Einstein would agree because he defines insanity as “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
So, if you want your life to change, then you’ve got to start doing things differently. And to help you with that, here are 15 things you can (and should) stop doing if you want a better life.
1. Stop making excuses. Take responsibility for your life and stop using the economy, the weather, or your zodiac sign as an excuse why you’re not trying to make things better.
2. Stop wasting time watching television, surfing on the internet, and playing games on your smartphone. It’s okay to relax and be entertained for a while, but it’s a different story already if that’s all you do in your free time.
3. Stop procrastinating. Remember that the opposite of success is not failure, but inaction. Stop putting things off and get it done already.
4. Stop doing just the easy stuff. Allow yourself to be uncomfortable. Challenge yourself and I guarantee that you’ll go beyond what you thought was your limit.
5. Stop spending time with people who have no dreams. They’ll just slow you down and drag you into inertia. Instead, spend more time with people that inspire you.
6. Stop running away from your problems, because they have legs and they’ll catch up with you sooner or later. Don’t try to drown them either because they know how to swim – believe me, I know.
7. Stop comparing yourself to others. There will always be people who are better than you, and that’s okay. Don’t be hard on yourself. Remember that each one of us is unique, and we all can make a difference in this world.
8. Stop holding on to your past. We all make mistakes. We all failed at one point in our lives. We all have those “I-wish-I-could-turn-back-time” moments. Learn the lesson and just let go.
9. Stop being scared of failure. Mistakes are part of life, and success isn’t complete if you haven’t failed at least once.
10. Stop finding happiness in material things. Moreover, stop relying on others for your happiness. The best person that can make you happy is yourself. Remember that happiness (and contentment) is a personal state of mind.
11. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. We all experience tough times, and hitting one doesn’t mean you’re unlucky, untalented, or undeserving of success.
12. Stop waiting for the right time. Things will never be perfect, so just ship out to the open seas and simply adjust your sails along the way. Fire now, and aim later.
13. Stop thinking about the things that might go wrong. Instead, focus and believe that things will go right. Optimism, positivity, and visual reinforcement often become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
14. Stop pleasing everyone. As they say, “Haters gonna hate” – so just ignore them. What other people say and think is not as important as providing and caring for the people that matter in your life.
15. Stop changing the things you can’t change. There’s usually a fine line between the things that you can and cannot control. Grant yourself the serenity to accept those you can’t, and take on the courage to change those that you can.
Can you think of more things that people should stop doing to make their life better? Please share them below and let’s make this list grow further.
What to do next: Click here to subscribe to our FREE newsletter.
Wow, this is just soooo juicy Fitz! It’s like a post from Leo Babauta of zenhabits, inspirational and actionable advise. Thank you for writing such kind of post.
I especially and strongly agree with #1!
Nothing erodes character and competence than always pointing the finger away from you.
I agree with you. Thank you for sharing a wonderful thoughts.ðŸ˜„
What a timely post for me. Thank you so much Sir Fitz 🙂
This is something that I needed to read! Thank you very much!
Thanks sir Fitz for these valuable pieces of wisdom. You’ve surely given me clear guidelines to a better life. 🙂
Great list Fitz! Thanks a lot once more! I hope you come to Cebu: it would be a pleasure to hear from you first-hand.
Short, sweet and meaningful. Thanks sir fitz. Share ko na ito sa FB wall ko ha. 🙂
“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.â€
That is why more and more Filipinos are broke. They keep on doing what they think is right even it is not working and they keep on blaming the government for being poor.
It’s a summary of how to stop worrying and start living. nie post Fitz!
I read this article as if my parents are telling it to me! This is a very effective article. Now I am thinking what to do next.
Nice post! I’m going to print this one and place it where I’ll see it everyday…Thanks sir!
thanks mr. Fitz for this article.. these are all true.. thumbs Up!
add on this–things that people should stop doing to make their life better
–>Stop Pretending to be someone else… just be true yourself…and Just be you. 🙂
[…] Villafuerte presents 15 Things You Should Stop Doing If You Want a Better Life posted at Ready To Be Rich, saying, “Change begins within you. Stop your bad habits, and good […]
Very nice post. I’ll print this and post it in my wall to always remind myself.
Thank you for posting this very inspiring article. The first time I saw this was in a hospital here in ozamiz. There was no author so i took the effort to search you in the internet. Thanks sir fritz. I was deeply moved especially with number 2 and 3. I have this bad habit of wasting my time surfing the net and procrastinating. God bless!
Dear Mr. Fitz,
thank you and
This is indeed a great blog to
Follow. Great post and I have learned a lot from this blog.
Thank you, God!
Thanks Mr. Fitz
sir Fitz! i think this one may also be. “stop or unfollow the chain of wrong lifestyle na kinalakihan.” that lifestyle will make u blind pra di mkita ang better ways and opportunities.the lifestyle that is like a concrete wall na nakaharang sa mas maganda snang pamamaraan.
( i know individual whose borrowing money is her way in order to meet their “needs kuno” ,like monthly bills,pangbday party,etc. to make the story short, ay nsaksihan nya ang ganyang style s mismong parent nya, na mangutang sa 5 6 pra mkpagproduce ng instant pera or let’s say pandagdag pra sa kakulangang amount of money pra s specific na needs. nakakaawa na rin mnsan lalo pg nkkita mong lubog na sa utang. buti sana kung teachable sya pg sasabihan o tuturuan na wag ng palagiang gwin kaso she even thinks she is wiser among others kasi nga daw at least she finds way, na alin?ang mangutang? their ways made them blind)