Simple Things I Do To Save Energy At Home
This article is posted under Guest Posts, Money Saving Tips.
It’s going to be the holidays soon and for most Philippine households, it’s time once again to put up those decors and Christmas lights to brighten our homes.
Unfortunately, with the longer nights and all those lights, our household electric bills could go up more than usual.
Save for the fact that we might be using less airconditioning because the weather is cooler, it’s still always good to be aware of our energy consumption so we can stay within our utility budget.
For today, a guest blogger shares some very simple and practical ways on how she was able to save energy at home and save money on her electric bills.
Let’s read Rosemarie’s list below and hope we can pick up some tips from her.
In every household, the energy bill is one of the highest expense, together with food. While we don’t want to compromise our nutrition, becoming a little bit frugal with our electric use is every bit smart.
Moreover, saving electricity is more than just about saving money, it’s also a great way to help lessen power hikes and more importantly, do something good for the environment.
That’s why I’d like to tell you today some of the simple things I did at home that helped me lower my electric bills.
Plug it off
Appliances on stand by mode still use electricity – I’m referring to microwave ovens with digital clocks, television and DVD players, battery and phone chargers and so on. If you’re not using them, then just plug it off.
- When cooking, use a kettle to boil water then just pour it to the pot. It’s faster and uses less energy than waiting for the water to come to a boil inside the pot.
- Instead of an oven, cook food in the microwave oven. Again, it will be faster and you will use less energy.
- Cut food in small pieces so that they will cook faster.
- Make sure your pots and pans match the size of your burner or stove plate.
Learn about electricity
Learn about energy efficiency ratings so you can understand how much electricity an appliance consumes when being used. It will also help you compare electricity prices when there is a need to buy new appliances.
- Replace all your tungsten bulbs with compact-florescent lamps (CFL’s). They’re a smart investment because they last at least 6 times longer; and they give as much light but uses less energy.
- Use light-colored lampshades because they are brighter.
- Install lighting fixtures that can store solar power.
- Clean your lighting fixtures regularly so you always have optimal brightness.
Stay updated with technology
We live in a technology-driven world, and there are always news on how we can improve our lives by becoming more efficient. Read blogs that promote frugal lifestyles like this one, Ready To Be Rich. Discover websites that provide useful financial information like my favorite, Moneysupermarket.
- Curtains are a good way to preserve room temperatures. Use them to retain the heat during winter, and keep the sun out during summer.
- Enjoy more cold showers. They can be as relaxing as hot baths and warm showers.
- Consider thawing frozen food inside the fridge, it can help in the cooling.
- Rediscover the joys of simple living. Disconnect from the internet, turn off the television and just read paperback books, learn home crafts and take leisure walks.
Of course this is just a short list of the many other ways you can save money through energy conservation – I leave the rest for you to discover and apply.
This guest post is contributed by Rosemarie Gregory, a stay-at-home mom living in London.
Ready to read more tips? Then see this one: Quick Ways To Save on Electricity
Receive more money saving tips by subscribing to Ready To Be Rich.
Posts You Can Read Next:
Ways To Lower Your Electric Bill and Save Money
It’s been a while since I’ve given some money saving tips so I decided that this will be my topic for today. I know that one of the top financial headaches we have right now is the rising cost of electricity. Add to that the fact that our current lifestyle makes this expense a necessary one. Yup,...
Quick Ways To Save On Electricity
There are lots of ways to save on electricity. All it takes is a little effort and some plain common sense on our part. You don’t have to be an electrician or an engineer to implement some of these techniques. In fact, if you look around your house and be conscious of your habits at...
Top 10 Energy Saving Tips and Facts For Refrigerators
Did you know that refrigerators can account for as much as 15 to 20 percent of your home’s electric bill? That’s what I discovered when I played around with the Meralco Appliance Calculator the other day. I plugged in the appliances we have at home into the calculator and checked how close the results will...