How To Start A Dog Breeding Business
This article is posted under Business, Income Opportunities.
One of the most lucrative home-based business you can do nowadays is dog breeding.
I have a couple of friends who are into it and they say that breeding dogs for profit has become one of their major sources of extra income.
But how do you start a dog breeding business?
Do you just buy a male and female dog, let them mate and then sell the puppies?
I’ve interviewed my friends about their “hobby” and this is what I’ve found out. Hopefully, these information can help you get started into dog breeding.
What are the requirements to start a dog breeding business?
The most important requirement is that you must love dogs. If you cannot be a “dog’s best friend”, then you have no right to do business with man’s best friend. This is a must.
Remember, dogs have that “scent” – which should be okay with you. And since you plan on breeding, then you have to be willing to handle the mating and birthing of your dogs which can be “icky” at times – if you know what I mean.
In general, if you don’t mind your dog sleeping beside you in bed and you have no problems with them licking you all over the face, then you should be okay at the very least.
Moreover, there’s a need to consider the people in your household and your neighbors. They must be open to the idea of having lots of dogs in the house – and likewise be tolerant of the scent and all the barking.
But keep in mind that loving dogs is not enough, you should also be interested and passionate enough about them that you’re willing to study and do research.
Yes, it’s important that you know the different breeds of dogs – their history, genetics, pedigrees, characteristics and temperament.
Moreover, you should also be informed in the proper health care, breeding and mating techniques of dogs. There are so many resources out there and it won’t be difficult to find them, the real question is if you’ll be patient and committed enough to learn.
Let’s say everything checks out so far, so how do I start the business?
Technically, the very first thing you should do is to decide the specific breed you want to focus on. Choose the breed that appeals to you most, and start from there.
Once you’ve decided on the breed, then your next general steps would be to:
- Learn all about that specific breed – history, characteristics, proper care… everything.
- Study the market for that breed. How much is it selling? Who’s buying them? How popular is it compared to other breeds? Etc.
- Prepare your finances. Have enough capital not only to buy one or two dogs, but more importantly, a budget for dog food, vaccines and veterinary care. Also consider the expenses for registration and marketing. It’s a business – so prepare a business plan.
- Ready the space in your home. Depending on the breed, you should be able to accommodate at least two dogs at the start and if possible, a space for a puppy nursery.
- Lastly, buy the dogs, if you don’t have one already. Most of those who explore the business of dog breeding actually start with their own pets.
How much can you earn from dog breeding?
It’s hard to give specific amounts. But let me give you some general estimates on your possible income:
- In selling puppies, you can recover your costs of buying and caring with three or four puppies. But that’s depending on the breed, if you get a rare color or a champion breed, selling one or two puppies can earn you good profits already.
- In providing stud services, the costs of caring for your male dog can be sustained by this. If your dog has a good record of successful mating, more people will get him and you can make modest and constant profit from it.
What are the legalities involved in this business?
If you’re just starting out, then you can simply do it as a freelance endeavor. After some time, when your kennel begins to grow, then you can register it as a business.
However, from the very start, you should already have and properly file the veterinary records of your dogs, specially the shots it already had. And most importantly, the dog’s registration papers.
If a dog has no paper, or if it gets lost – then its selling value will be greatly reduced. In the country, dogs are registered through the Philippine Canine Club, Inc. (PCCI). If you need more information on the paperwork involved in breeding, buying and selling dogs, you can just contact their office.
Any last advice on dog breeding?
There are a lot of dog lovers and breeders out there – make friends with them and you’ll learn a lot. Most of us who are into the business are generous with giving out dog breeding tips.
This is actually how I learned – by first joining dog clubs and making friends with fellow dog lovers. Then I attended dog shows and that’s where I met dog breeders who are willing to show me the ropes of the business.
It’s a fun hobby-business. It can get stressful at times but overall, dog breeding can be financially and emotionally rewarding.
Are you interested in starting your own dog breeding business? Perhaps you can check out some of these books from Amazon:
Discover more income opportunities by subscribing to Ready To Be Rich.
By the way, the photos are of my dog, Brandy the Beagle
Choose the next article that you want to read:
How To Catch Emerging Business Trends
A business is a dynamic entity. It will not achieve long-term success if it does not learn how to adapt to the ever changing market. That’s why it’s always been a challenge for every entrepreneur to make sure that he is ahead or up to date with the latest business trends. But how do you do...
A Business Owner’s Guide To Group Buying Sites
There are two positive things that group buying sites are doing for Filipino consumers. First, it’s helping them save money. And second, it’s encouraging them to try and be more confident about shopping online. But how about business owners? What do group buying sites positively do for merchants? For today, we take a closer look at group buying sites from...