How To Get Visitors To Your Blog
This article is posted under General Information, In Focus, Sales and Marketing.
Last weekend, I was invited to speak at the first Baguio Blog Conference.
My topic was on how to get blog traffic, or simply, how to get visitors to your website.
I consider this subject important, not just for bloggers but for all website owners – specially entrepreneurs who earn income online, that’s why I thought I’d share with you here the major points that I discussed that day.
But before that, I’d like to first acknowledge and express my gratitude to the organizers of the event, the very dynamic Cordillera Bloggers.
Thank you for the warm hospitality and congratulations again on the success of the event! I’m looking forward to attending again next year.
BLOG TRAFFIC GENERATION 102
I entitled my slideshow, Blog Traffic Generation 102 because I just presented a quick overview of how blog marketing is done, but I also gave a few advanced level search engine optimization tips.
ON BLOGGING AND BLOGGERS
In my many years of blogging, I’ve discovered that there are two basic types of bloggers. First are those who want to express their thoughts and second, those who want to share their voice.
The former speaks out to the universe with their stories and opinion that don’t need an audience. While the latter, writes in the hope that they’ll be heard by others.
I emphasized that neither is better than the other; but my presentation generally speaks more to the second type.
WAITING FOR VISITORS
There are three sources of visitors to one’s blog.
- Direct Visitors
- People who go “directly” to your blog, which can be summarized by the acronym F.F.F. = Family, Friends and Foes
- Foes are bloggers whom you share the same niche, and need not stay as your competitors. Blogging is also community building, that’s why you should always try to convert those foes into friends.
- People who are “referred” by others – which can either be offline or online.
- Offline, your blog can be passed on by word of mouth by your family, friends and followers
- Online, it can be shared in social media such as Facebook and Twitter, and other websites, such as forums and blogs, as well
- People who came from “search engines”, such as Google, Yahoo! and Bing
- Beyond the search page, these visitors can also come from typing in the search boxes of social media websites, and certain web tools and apps
FACTORS THAT BRING DIRECT VISITORS
There are two factors that bring direct visitors, first is quality content and second is site usability.
Quality content means blog posts that are either informative, educational, entertaining, insightful and/or original. While usability pertains to your site’s quick load speed, easy navigation, good layout.
Both factors gives your visitors a good experience while they’re on your website, and encourages them to come back often.
FACTORS THAT BRING REFERRAL TRAFFIC
Getting referral traffic is possible only if you meet the same requirements in getting direct visitors, which is quality content and site usability, but with the addition of having shareable content.
In a nutshell, shareable content means that people will not be ashamed to recommend your blog and articles to their personal social network.
FACTORS THAT BRING SEARCH TRAFFIC
There are many factors that affect a website’s search engine visibility. Some of the best known search engine optimization practices are:
- On-Page Optimization: your website’s usability and other technical requirements that allows search engine robots to easily index your site
- Latent Semantics: your content’s proper use of keywords within a quality article
- Internal Linking: your site’s link structure, or the reason why your posts should as much as possible, have a link to your older, relevant posts
- Inbound Links: the number of quality websites that link to your blog and its articles
- Social Media Presence: the number of times your blog and its articles are being shared in social networking websites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google + and many others
- Prayers: a reminder that there is no exact and accurate way to be number 1 in search engine results, search algorithms always change and the best way to get search visitors has always been, is still is, and will always be… quality content.
HOW TO GET TRAFFIC TO YOUR BLOG
Prepare Your Website
Make sure that your blog loads fast and has a good layout. Install social media sharing tools so visitors can easily share your content in Facebook, Twitter, Google + and others bookmarking sites.
Moreover, always provide subscription options so you can convert search and referral visitors into direct visitors. And write an About and Contact Page, because netizens trust websites and blogs more, if they knew who the owns it.
Write Optimized Post
Publish articles which people want or need to read. Provide evergreen content, which are posts that are timely and yet timeless. Write about topics which are relevant today; and will continue to be a good read two or more years from now.
Spread Your Content
Marketing is not a sprint, but a marathon. So constantly promote your site offline and online. Create inbound links by joining group blogs, signing up for blog networks, participating in blog carnivals among other techniques
Moreover, you should likewise strive to increase your online influence – which means being an active member in your niche community. And lastly, do not be afraid to explore other less popular marketing channels, they may have untapped potential in bringing traffic to your site.
And that was my 30-minute presentation on how to get blog visitors. I hope you learned something new and please don’t hesitate to ask questions about it below in the comments section.
If this is your first time to visit my blog, I hope you can subscribe to Ready To Be Rich and join our community of wealth builders who are on our way to financial freedom. It’s free and fun!
Posts You Can Read Next:
How To Give Your Business An Online Presence
Early this week, I had the opportunity to meet the future entrepreneurs and marketers of our country during the launching of the Junior Achievement Marketing Society. Through an invitation extended by Business World Philippines, I was able to share with the audience a short presentation on “How To Give Your Business an Online Presence”. Today, I’d like...
Why Business Owners And Not Just Bloggers Should Go To iBlog 6
It’s summer once again and that means it’s time for another iBlog. The 6th Philippine Blogging Summit will be for the first time a two-day event this year. (iBlog3 was the first 2-day iBlog) iBlog6 is happening on April 16 & 17 at the Malcolm Theater, UP College of Law, UP Diliman, from 8:00 AM to 5:00...
The Impact of Blogging on Philippine Media and Public Relations
Last August 31st, I was invited by the Public Relations Society of the Philippines (PRSP) to be a guest speaker during their General Membership Meeting in Makati. Included in their program that day was a discussion on how blogging impacts Philippine media and Public Relations today. They asked if I could come and share my thoughts on...