Jumping ship from being an employee to a freelancer can be scary.
In my life, I’ve unfortunately seen so many friends who’ve tried and failed at it.
Almost all of them eventually went back to the corporate world with a promise that they’d never try something so “risky” again.
On the other hand, I’ve also witnessed a handful who jumped off the cliff, soared high and never looked back.
When asked about that experience, all of them would interestingly say that quitting their job to become a full-time freelancer was the best decision they made in their life so far.
That’s how great the feeling was for them!
Meanwhile, quite recently, a blogger-friend, Hannah, asked the freelancers in our online social network how do they manage to survive on their own.
Many offered good advice. One of them was Jayvee who shared eight tips I found so awesome, it’s worth a post here.
If you don’t know Jayvee, he’s the great-looking guy beside the other great-looking guy in this photo. 😛
Anyway, enough introduction and on to the tips. Thus presenting…
Jayvee’s Eight Steps To Freelance Awesomeness
- Determine the minimum amount of cash you need to survive.
- Find work that’s “no brainer but regular” that will help you reach that amount of money you need per month for expenses.
- Use the free time to find more awesome sidelines as you already have a base pay per month.
- Don’t distract yourself with unnecessary activities that will use up your 24 hours.
- In a day, remember, only 24 hours in a day. You need to maximize income per hour.
- Capitalize on strengths (i.e. your blog: find your own ads… no more xdeal. CASH.)
- Give yourself 4 months per item. If it doesn’t work, stop and find others. You have ONE enemy — TIME.
- Remember, “exposure” is something you do from age 18-25. Onwards, you need to level up your career so you’re confident by 30.
Those were his exact words (with just a few edits for clarity).
So are you a freelancer? Do you have any other awesome tips you can share? Please do by leaving a comment below.
Lastly, you might also want to check out my article series entitled, Steps to Becoming a Successful Freelancer – it’s a work in progress but it will be complete soon.
Don’t miss the final few inputs to that by subscribing to Ready To Be Rich.
By the way, a special “thank you” goes out to Jayvee for allowing me to post his awesome tips here. 😀